Monday, June 23, 2008

Entertainment. . . Now

Over the time that I failed to blog (that being the 50 day break that I took) I did not fail to be entertained by all things, well, entertainment. Movies. Music. Television. Lots of new types of viewing or listening pleasure have entered into my life and quite a few of them are top notch, ahead of the curve, overall amazing entries into my Entertainment Interests. So let's just get right to them, shall we? Away we go:

MOVIES

So far, I have seen 15 of the films released in 2008 (although there are many more on the to-be-viewed list) and it is increasing every week as those films that were released in the first quarter of the year are starting to come out on DVD. I'm also trying to make it out to the Cinema in order to take in those large-screen versions. Of the 15, only three have earned the much desired A grade (two of them A-'s), but you'll see that here. Here are the grades followed by a very brief review, in the same type of nature as the internet site, Four Word Film Reviews (but mine will actually tell you whether or not you should see it).

IRON MAN – (A)


Almost as perfect as Batman Begins


FORGETTING SARAH MARSHALL – (A-)

Another raunchy/sweet Apatow-produced home run

KUNG FU PANDA – (A-)

Familiar Dreamworks formula. Pixar-level execution.

CLOVERFIELD – (B+)

Worthy of all the hype.

INDIANA
JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL – (B)

Just good to see Indy again (don't mind the aliens!)

HAROLD AND KUMAR: ESCAPE FROM GUANTANOMO BAY – (B)

Dumb and hilariously over-the-top.

DEFINITELY, MAYBE – (B)

The rare pleasantly surprising rom-com.

BE KIND REWIND – (B-)

Original story; competent story-telling.

21 – (B-)

Read Bringing Down the House instead.

RUN FATBOY FUN – (C+)

Simon Pegg should go back to writing his own material.

THE RUINS – (C)

Decent addition to the college/teen horror genre.

SEMI PRO – (C-)

A ridiculous and unfunny "comedy."

THE GRAND – (C-)

I guess Poker can't be funny.

WHAT HAPPENS IN VEGAS – (D+)

Just watch the trailer instead. Or go to Vegas!

THE HAPPENING – (D-)


M. Night Shyamalan needs his head examined.



I had planned on doing both music and television this morning too, but now I have to get ready for work - I will attempt to finish that up tonight or even tomorrow morning. But I'll get all the goods on the new Weezer, Coldplay, and My Morning Jacket CD's as well as my thoughts on the new season of The Mole! Until then, have a great Monday!

Until later,


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay, another movie blog! I absolutely loved Kung Fu Panda! It exceeded my expectations greatly. It had great action and it also managed to be really funny.

I'm excited to see your television blog! I've seen the first episode of the Mole so far and have the rest on tape, so I'm a bit behind. Oh well.

-Alex